Friday, April 16, 2010

Don't Give Up

Second Week of Easter

SCRIPTURE
Looking up, Jesus saw the crowds approaching and said to Philip, ‘Where can we buy some bread for these people to eat?’ He only said this to test Philip; he himself knew exactly what he was going to do.
Jn.6:5

OBSERVATION
The ministry of Jesus is on a high.  Miracles abound and the crowds are growing.  Jesus performs the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand and the crowd want to overtake Him and make Him king.  That was not the type of kingdom Jesus had come to establish and so He "escaped back to the hills by himself". Jesus knew what He was about to do and yet He still gave Philip the opportunity first to respond in faith.  Philip responds in the flesh, "we haven't enough money!", and so Jesus takes control of the situation.

APPLICATION
One could say Philip failed the test and yet in the Book of Acts we read how Philip was transformed into a bold preacher of the Good News and was performing miracles in the name of Jesus himself.  Jesus didn't give up on him and more importantly, Philip didn't give up on Jesus.
I know there are tests I have failed with Jesus.  Today I take the example of Philip and pick myself up and try again.  Jesus hasn't given up on me.  I won't give up on Jesus.

PRAYER
Dear Jesus.  Thank you for not giving up on me, for staying with me and believing in me.  Today I recommit myself to you.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: