Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Way Out

SCRIPTURE
So Moses fashioned a bronze serpent which he put on a standard, and if anyone was bitten by a serpent, he looked at the bronze serpent and lived.
Numbers 21:9

OBSERVATION
The Israelites are on their great exodus in the desert escaping from slavery.  They loose patience, speaking against Moses and even against God.  The result is a plague of fiery serpents that kills many of them.  But God gives a way out, the bronze serpent on a standard for them to look upon and live.  In today's Gospel Jesus refers to this Old Testament event when He says, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know...".

APPLICATION
There are times when I loose patience and I speak against Moses (the Church) and even against God.  There are two things for me to note here.  First, when I loose patience this way I am risking much, even my very (eternal) life.  Secondly, God still provides me a way out, His Son lifted up on a cross.
The shadow of the cross looms larger across the landscape as I approach Holy Week and my focus turns to the Passion and Death of Jesus.  I recognise this as my "way out".  God loved (me) so much that He sent His one and only Son...

PRAYER
Lord by your Cross and Resurrection, you have set me free.  You are the Saviour of the world!
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: