Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Get up and Walk!

SCRIPTURE

‘Do you want to be well again?’ ‘Sir,’ replied the sick man ‘I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is disturbed; and while I am still on the way, someone else gets there before me.’ Jesus said, ‘Get up, pick up your sleeping-mat and walk.’
Jn.5:6-8

OBSERVATION
Jesus is in Jerusalem and is moved with pity for the one sick man among the many lame and crippled who are lying there waiting for a miracle.  Jesus heals the man on the Sabbath, incurring the wrath of the Pharisees who intensify their persecution of Him.

OBSERVATION
On more than one occasion in the Gospels it is recorded where Jesus asks this type of question of a person who is obviously in need.  "Do you want to be well again?"  The question demands a response.  The sick man in this story responds by telling Jesus why he can't be healed.  Jesus then tells him how he can be healed, "Get up... and walk".  There is healing power in simply recognising Jesus' authority over sickness and acting on it.  Then man gets up, and he walks!
I am sick.  The illness of sin lies in me and cripples me.  Jesus asks me, "Do you want to be well again? Do I give Jesus excuses for my ailment, or do I recognise the authority of Jesus over my sickness?
Today I choose to get up... and walk!

PRAYER
Lord Jesus.  Thank you that You bring me life and life in abundance. You are my Hope and Joy!
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: