Thursday, March 18, 2010

Eternal Life

SCRIPTURE
‘You study the scriptures, believing that in them you have eternal life; now these same scriptures testify to me, and yet you refuse to come to me for life!"
Jn.5:39,40

OBSERVATION
Jesus has just healed the man lying beside the pool in Jerusalem, attracting the wrath of the Pharisees because it was "work" done on the Sabbath. Here He addresses the Pharisees explaining what it is He is offering them (eternal life) and by whose authority He offers it (God the Father’s).

These particular verses are all the more significant when I realise what is coming in the next chapter of John; John Chapter 6 is the great discourse Jesus gives on the Eucharist…
"I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day”. (Jn.6:53,54)
The accusation from Jesus about those studying scriptures and still refusing to come to Him for life is just as true for many today.

APPLICATION
Holy Eucharist is such I gift that I often take for granted.  I forget that Jesus has promised me eternal life when I eat His flesh and drink His blood.  What a wonderful promise!  Today I need to go to Mass with this renewed appreciation of who it is and what it is I am receiving.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus in the Holy Eucharist, I come to you today for eternal life.
Little Flower, please pray for me.





No comments: