Saturday, February 27, 2010

Teach Me How to Love

SCRIPTURE
But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven…
Mt.5:43

OBSERVATION
Jesus continues his blueprint for Christian life in His Sermon on the Mount. He’s now getting down to the nitty-gritty… Love your enemies! This goes against everything the world tells us, which is to hate your enemies and defeat them. This would probably be the most well known command for Christians that non-believers quote… “Christians? They the ones who are meant to love their enemies aren’t they?” Yes, meant to but seldom do.

APPLICATION
This is an area I haven’t been really tested in. Sure, there are people I find it hard to get along with, some types of people I even avoid. But I can’t think of anyone I actually hate.
I’ve heard it said that the opposite of love isn’t hatred but indifference. Maybe that is the starting point… look out for those I avoid or turn my back on… and love them. This could be harder than I thought!

PRAYER
Jesus, no one is beyond your compassion, not even me. Teach me how to love, that I may be a true son of our Father in heaven.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: