Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Foolishness of God

SCRIPTURE
‘Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.’     Mt.6:15

OBSERVATION
Jesus has just given advice to His disciples on how to pray by giving them (and us) the most powerful prayer known to the Church, the Lord’s Prayer.  This is recognised by the Church and used in every Mass celebrated around the world.  It is a prayer constantly being said and offered up to our Father in Heaven.  But Jesus didn’t stop there.  He underscored the most important verse, the verse on forgiveness.

APPLICATION
Jesus is telling me I am forgiven as much (or as least) as I am prepared to forgive others.  There are two messages for me here.  One, I am a sinful man in need of forgiveness.  Two, I am a resentful man who struggles to forgive.

Forgiveness is totally illogical.  The little lawyer within me says “fight for your rights; you deserve it; you are a fool to not demand recompense”.  The foolishness of God says to me “Give up your rights; be the first to forgive; let it go”.   Forgiveness is always a choice.  Today, I choose the foolishness of God.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus, forgive me, for I am a sinful man.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: