Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Look Above and Beyond

Tuesday 2nd December 2008

SCRIPTURE
A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots a Branch will bear fruit. The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of power,
the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD
Isaiah 11:1,2

OBSERVATION
Jerusalem is surrounded by an enemy army and yet Isaiah is giving his beautiful prophesy about the coming of Jesus, the Messiah. He is able to look beyond the hopelessness of the present situation and see over the horizon to the promises of God.

APPLICATION
Thank goodness God's promises don't rely on how I feel or on what is currently happening. The tyranny of now attacks me from the moment I awake until I lay down to sleep. The physical world creates a spiritual haze.
This Advent, like Isaiah, I lift my head to see over the horizon and gaze on the promises of God, fulfilled in His Son; the only sure and certain one I can rely on.

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, today when I'm feeling crowded in, inspire me as you inspired Isaiah to look above and beyond and find Jesus.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: