Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boldly Humble

Tuesday 24th June 2008 - Birth of Saint John the Baptist

SCRIPTURE
And indeed the hand of the Lord was with him.

Meanwhile the child grew up and his spirit matured. And he lived out in the wilderness until the day he appeared openly to Israel.
Lk.1:66,80

OBSERVATION
Today the Church celebrates the birth of Saint John the Baptist, the one of whom Jesus said no greater had been born. John's greatness seems to be that he shone his light everywhere except on himself. His attitude of "I must be lesser that He may be greater" in turn made him great in the eyes of Jesus - in the eyes of God.

APPLICATION
John was bold, but boldly humble. You would think there would be a tension there but John did it naturally. What a lesson!
I can be called to bold leadership but must perform that leadership with humility. This is great protection against the vice of pride, my old enemy.

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, let me not shrink from the bold plans God has for me, but give me humility in living out those plans.
Saint John the Baptist, please pray for me.

No comments: