Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ask for Anything

Saturday 19th April 2008 - Fourth Week of Eastertide

SCRIPTURE
Whatever you ask for in my name I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask for anything in my name, I will do it.
Jn.14:13,14

OBSERVATION
Jesus is giving His farewell discourse at the Last Supper. Philip says, "Show us the Father and we will be satisfied." I can see Jesus shaking His head, saying "Don't you get it yet. To see me is to see the Father." Then He makes this outrageous statement, almost asking us to test His claim of unity with the Father; "Ask for anything in my name and it will be done."

APPLICATION
Anything? Ask for anything? Great! The First Division prize in Lotto tonight please.
But I know that's not going to happen. I'd have to buy a ticket first (which I won't). There's the rub. I have to do something first. When I place Jn.14: 13 and 14 in context with the rest of John's Gospel it's clear the precursor must be in accordance with God's will. In the very next verse (Jn.14:15) Jesus says, "If you love me you will keep my commandments".
So, it boils down to this - Love God, then ask whatever you want.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus, let my love for You be the starting point to anything I ask of you today.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: