Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Teach Your Children Well

Wednesday 27th February 2008

SCRIPTURE
"...but the man who keeps (the Law and Prophets) and teaches them will be considered great in the kingdom of heaven".
Mt. 5:19

OBSERVATION
Jesus is starting His great Sermon on the Mount by establishing the foundation on which He is to place His teaching; that foundation being the Law and the Prophets. He has come not to abolish them but fulfill them. To underscore the importance of
the Law and the Prophets Jesus promises greatness to those who keep and teach them.

APPLICATION
I love leading Liturgy of the Word for Children in our parish Sunday Mass. When I try explaining this to my friends I see them shrink in horror at the thought. Today's first reading from Deuteronomy exhorts us to teach God's Law and Customs "to your children and your children's children". There is an obligation here that cannot be ducked. How well am I teaching my children? Will I be considered great in the Kingdom of Heaven?

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, give me a renewed zeal for your inspired Word, that I may teach my children to know and love You in it.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: