Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Servant King

Wednesday 20th February 2008

SCRIPTURE
...just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life for the ransom of many.
Mt. 20:28

OBSERVATION
Jesus has just foretold clearly what is about to happen in His Passion and death. Still the disciples don't get it. It's too unthinkable. They continue to think the kingdom Jesus is about to usher in is going to be one of power and dominance over their oppressors. James and John claim what they think are going to be the best seats. But Jesus doesn't work like that. With Him the great will be servants, the first will be slaves.

APPLICATION
There are times when I'm like James and John. I want the Lord to call down fire on those who appose Him. I want Him to snap his fingers and heal every sick and dieing child on the planet. But He doesn't. He has another deeper way of saving the world, from the inside out not outside in. His army is a secret army. It's the wheat among the weeds, the microscopic yeast in the dough, the tiny mustard seed. Its power is not from outside force but from internal conversion of the heart.
Today I choose to be a servant to those around me to remind me I'm a soldier in the secret army of Jesus.

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, help me shift my focus off me and onto others today. Give me the virtue of generousity.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: