Monday, February 25, 2008

Submit

Monday 25th February 2008

SCRIPTURE
Naaman, army commander to the king of Aram, was a man who enjoyed his master’s respect and favour, since through him the Lord had granted victory to the Aramaeans. But the man was a leper.
2 Kings 5:1


OBSERVATION
That final short sentence undercuts everything else said about Naaman. Naaman was a great man, but he was a leper... Leprosy was a respecter of no one, young or old, rich or poor, great or least, it struck where it willed; as cancer does today. The antidote to Naaman's leprosy was to humbly submit to God; seven times in fact in the Jordan River.

APPLICATION
Like Naaman, there are things in my life I would not choose and are out of my control, growing middle aged and loosing my hair for example. This Saturday just passed I worked a sixteen hour day, supporting my beloved in her catering enterprise. By 11:00 PM with a stack of dishes so huge it was spilling over the floor, I was feeling decidedly middle aged. I hurt! My aging body was starting to remind me of the fact, which in turn reminded me of my own mortality. I'm no longer the invincible young buck I've always pictured myself.
The lesson in Naaman's story is the antidote ...humbly submit to God, seven times if necessary.

PRAYER
Lord Jesus, my times are in your hand. What a relief.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: