Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Less is More

Tuesday 19th February 2008

SCRIPTURE
Anyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and anyone who humbles himself will be exalted.
Mt. 23:12

OBSERVATION
Jesus is teaching the people and His disciples about hypocrisy and vanity, pointing to the scribes and the Pharisees as poor examples of these virtues. He then goes to the root of everyones problem, the root of my problem, by giving the Inverse Law - the greatest must be the least.

APPLICATION
I've always said that a Catholic retreat is just an excuse to go Reconciliation. I've just returned from a Catholic Family Weekend and yes, there was Reconciliation offered on Saturday night. Our dear priest softened us up by talking about what he called the least confessed of sins... Jealousy. As he was talking I felt a flush of embarrassment as I remembered just the day before being very jealous of a fiend who I judged as being more successful than me ...it was the red two-door BMW convertible that started it. It was embarrassing for me to confess this as it seems such a childish thing to have. But there it was and it was liberating to kill it in that wonderful sacrament of Reconciliation. In humbling myself I was exalted.
Perhaps more humbling of myself during this Lent will do much to lift me up. Thank you Jesus.

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, convict me of my pride each time it rises up to steal your Glory.

Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: