Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do it Small, Do it Regular, Do it in Secret.

6th February 2008 - Ash Wednesday

SCRIPTURE
So when you pray... And when you give alms... When you fast.
Mt. 6:1-18

OBSERVATION
Jesus is continuing His great Sermon on the Mount and is getting to the heart of things. Concerning alms giving, prayer and fasting it was never "if" but "when". So it is no surprise that the Church has taken up these three great pillars of faith and made them central to the wonderful season of Lent.

APPLICATION
Now, the prayer I don't mind... OK, OK, I confess; I struggle with alms giving and fasting! These two disciplines strike at the heart of natural self centeredness. My faith journey is littered with past broken good intentions for alms giving and fasting. But my God is a God of new beginnings. This Lent WILL be different! My plan... do it small, do it regular and do it in secret. My Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward me. I have His word on it.

PRAYER
Holy Spirit, walk beside this Lent I pray.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: